Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Why ME!

          One week ago today, I hurt my back working out. In a great deal of pain I still managed to work out twice more. I know this sounds stupid but I don't like to break a routine otherwise I will soon stop all together. Believe me when I say I need to continue to work out. So this Monday I worked out again. After my workout, I noticed a great deal of pain in my stomach area. I thought to myself “self you could have really hurt yourself by isolating your back and putting that pressure on other muscles.” So I said to myself “self, if this pain goes, and is not serious, I will not work out again until my back is healed.” So I went in to my HR guy who has been working out for a long time (over 18 years). Told him of my situation asked for some advice. He told me to go in and stretch out. He said it will take about 2 weeks to heal.
          When I was working out I had some food rules. You see I love to eat. More than eating, I love to cook. My first rule was that I could eat anything I wanted but just had to eat less and I could not eat after 8pm Mon-Fri. Saturday and Sunday where my days “off” but eventually I still watched what I ate and quantity of food I took in on those days. I even switched mostly to Diet Pepsi. Well since I won’t be working out, I thought I really better watch my calorie intake.
          Tuesday late afternoon, our building manager buys everybody Oberweis Ice Cream. Oberweis is the best dairy in the World. They had Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate, Chocolate & Peanut Butter Swirl, Cookies N’ Cream, Mint. Today while I am in the break room, our secretary brings in left over Bandannas from some sort of lunch meeting. Pulled Pork, Smoked Chicken, Garlic Bread, Smoked Turkey, Potato Salad, Coleslaw, deep fried corn on the cob etc... I love BBQ!
          I just had to laugh. It was either laugh or cry. I mean they kept bringing in food and more food today. I just think that God must love practical jokes. I think I will know for sure if he is playing a joke if someone comes up to me and asks if I want to go to my favorite restaurant and say they will PAY!

8 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Doug, you had me at "Chocolate & Peanut Butter Swirl"! :)

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself - that sucks. I'd definitely add stretching to your workout routine, though. That can be just as important. Good luck with everything. I know you'll kick ass...

I can't wait until Betsy and I are moved (wherever we end up) so that I put my elliptical trainer back into use. It's buried in the garage right now. There's no place for it at my grandma's.

Wed Jul 27, 03:26:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DJJD said...

I "heard" the Chocolate & Peanut Butter Swirl was good! Truth be told, out of 8oz I had a three bites then just didn't eat the rest. But I was able to walk away completely from the BBQ.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am scared though because once I stop something, in my mind I break a link then I figure I can break that link over and over. If that makes any sense what so ever.

Less you forgot but I moved that elliptical trainer. Now it is just sitting in a humid lonely garage.

Wed Jul 27, 04:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

I have the exact same problem, Doug. We need to go play raquetball or tennis sometime. I still have my crappy-ass rackets somewhere... :)

Ah, yes. Now I remember - you DID move it. And I'll be asking if you can help move it again soon. Betsy and I were approved for our place, so we'll be moving soon.

Wed Jul 27, 06:20:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DJJD said...

I promise, when my back heals we will go play racketball and or tennis! I miss racketball and the A man has been asking when we are going to go play.

Thu Jul 28, 11:11:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Yeah, yeah. Promises, promises... :)

Thu Jul 28, 07:38:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Larry said...

How bout robertos, my treat.















Psych!

Fri Jul 29, 06:23:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DJJD said...

Dirty: OK, Dirty here is a date. Aug 12, 2005 we have a racketball date! I wonder if my wife will mind? Maybe we will make it a threesome!

GuitarBOY: Tell you Dad I will be awaiting my trip to DOS! I love The DOS!

Larry: C'MON, Robertos! I ate like a horse there when Dirty took me there last time we moved her! WAIT we will moving Dirty and her Dirty Cousin in a few weeks. So NAH!

See I just love food! Last night I tried some sort of East Coast Pizza down by where GuitarBoy worked on HWY 40/64 in the Valley. It was pricy but pretty good. Ohh BTW that places so called East Coast style "Philly Cheesesteak" was ok but not even better than Penn Stations "Philly" I was wanting the "Philly CheeseSteak" that Larry always talks about! DAMN now I am STARVING!

Mon Aug 01, 11:55:00 AM CDT  
Blogger DJJD said...

u know Poles, that sounds in theory like a great idea. However, I know I would sign up and maybe do it for 2-3 weeks at most. More likely 2-3days. What I mean by watching my calorie intake is this. 5 minutes ago, I had about 10 spoons of ice cream. The old me would have eaten the entire pint. At work today, they brought in donuts and bagels. I already ate, so I didn't need any. The old me would have probably had 1 donut maybe 2 and one bagel with 3/4inch thick cream cheese AFTER my breakfast. Every time I do something like that I was a small victory or small battle. However the WAR is going to last forever! This kind of stuff happens all the time too. I don't want to deny myself something completely. I think that is where most people go wrong. If I want a drink of soda, I take one. However I just limit the amount. I only drink one or a half instead of three. I have been adding weight on for 23 years, it is not going to come off over night.

I am learning just how important stretching is. My back has still not healed 100% I think I will need to see a physical theropist. I could really learn some stretching techniques!

Fri Aug 19, 08:55:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home